rest-big.jpg

About city

The city of Petrozavodsk, as well as St. Petersburg was founded by Peter the Great in 1703. During the Northern War with Sweden there was built a cannon foundry on the Lososinka river. Settlement near the plant was named Petrovskaya Sloboda. In 1777 Catherine II issued a decree awarding the settlement the status of a town.

Now Petrozavodsk is the capital of the Republic of Karelia, it is one of the largest cities in the Northwest of Russia. Every year more and more tourists from Russia and abroad visit Petrozavodsk. The main attractions of the city are the Museum of Kizhi, Lake Onega embankment, numerous parks and museums, old churches and cathedrals.